main image

main image

Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Keukenhof 2016

There was a report in the paper recently which stated that our gardens are where we feel happiest at home. I love getting out in the garden, especially now the days are getting warmer and longer. But I also love visiting other gardens and Keukenhof in Holland is somewhere my husband and I have wanted to visit for ages. Last week we finally made it.

I honestly didn't know quite what to expect. I knew that I was going to see a fantastic display of bulbs. I knew that it was in a parkland setting and I knew that the theme this year was 'The Golden Age', but it was so much better than I imagined. There really is only one word to describe it and that is WOW! Words really can't do it justice so here are a few pictures to hopefully brighten your day.
















Thrushes are normally so shy so for this one to come almost within touching distance felt like a real treat.






And across the waterways at the back of the gardens were the rainbow hues of the bulb fields.



According to a study in the journal Urban Forestry and Urban Greening being in a garden allows stimulation of the senses, the experience of positive emotions and the restoration of impaired mental resources amongst other things. Keukenhof must surely provide all of those things in abundance. The colours, the patterns, the combination of flowers, the sheer beauty of it all is just so uplifting. We didn't want to leave. But I plan to make a collage of my photos and put them on my kitchen wall so every day I'll have another little taste of Keukenhof 2016.

Thank-you for reading. Hoping you have a lovely week.

1 comment: