main image

main image

Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Evolving Resolutions

I'm not a great one for making New Year's Resolutions on 1st January. I prefer to let them evolve over the first few weeks of the year. But one resolution I have already made is to read more classics this year. Having visited both New England and California over the past 3 years I planned to read some John Steinbeck but my local library had other ideas. They were out of Steinbeck so I ended up with Edith Wharton instead and what a treat.



Ethan Frome is meant to be her bleakest book but it is beautiful and will certainly linger with me for a long time to come. If you haven't read it I would highly recommend it and it's very short so a good one to start with.

Serendipitously the BBC have been doing a radio adaptation of John Steinbeck's East of Eden so I've actually been able to enjoy that as well. It features David Yip and Holliday Grainger amongst the fabulous cast and you can catch it on the BBC I-player. I'd really recommend that as well.


My second resolution is to explore more of my local area. I often visit Uppingham, a pretty little market town in Rutland which is the smallest county in England. Sometimes I visit to go to the dentist or maybe to meet friends for coffee or, in the summer months, to watch my husband and sons played cricket. I have bought beautiful olives and crisp vegetables from stalls in the market square, I have browsed in the little gift shops but before last week I had never ventured inside the church of St. Peter and St. Paul.



The main entrance is off the market square, tucked between two buildings.



To begin with I had the whole church to myself. Sun shone through the windows, dust motes hovered in the stillness. My rubber soled boots seemed intrusively noisy on the smooth floor. I lit a candle and sat in a pew.



On the pillar next to me was a statue of St. Peter, the first Pope, founder of Rome and patrol saint of fishermen, bakers, butchers, horologists and locksmiths to name a few.



On the opposite pillar was a statue of St. Paul, also the founder of Rome and patron saint of missionaries, public workers, saddle makers and authors.



Ahead of me the most beautiful stained glass window..

.

...behind me the early medieval font.



To be alone in this sacred space was such a privilege, the perfect antidote to a hectic Christmas and New Year.

Not all of the places I visit in my local area will be churches. I hope that there will be gardens and houses, previously unexplored villages and footpaths but St. Peter and St. Paul seemed like the perfect place to start.

Thank-you for dropping by and Happy New Year to all.





6 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Just like you I feel there are so many places locally to explore...I was in Uppingham jsut before Christmas...always worth a wander around! As for gardens, oh yes...I managed to see a few new ones last year, and am hoping to see lots more this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Bridget. I forgot to mention tea rooms too. There must be so many local ones I haven't tried. And gardens always make my heart beat faster - just bring on the warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting churches. There's always a feeling of peace, as if all the prayers that have been said over the centuries are still hanging in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gebze Masajsalonu
    Bostancı MasajSalonu
    istanbul anadolu yakası, avrupa yakası, masaj salonlarımız 7/24 hizmetinizde

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice and helpful information http://awriter.org/essay-writing-services/ has been given in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Masaj Salonu Masaj salonu ve masöz, mutlu son masözler.
    Masöz Masöz ilanları, Masözler, Sertifikalı Masöz, Masöz sitesi, Masözler, Genç Masözler.
    Bakırköy Masaj Masaj salonu Bakırköyde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Kurtköy Masaj Masaj salonu Kurtköyde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Avcılar Masaj Masaj salonu Avcılarda Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Bağcılar Masaj Masaj salonu Bağcılarda Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Kadıköy Masaj Masaj salonu Kadıköyde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Ataşehir Masaj Masaj salonu Ataşehirde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Pendik Masaj Masaj salonu Pendikte Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Kartal Masaj Masaj salonu Kartalda Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Bakırköy Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Bakırköyde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Kurtköy Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Kurtköyde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Avcılar Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Avcılarda Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Bağcılar Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Bağcılarda Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Kadıköy Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Kadıköyde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Ataşehir Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Ataşehirde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Pendik Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Pendikte Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Kartal Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Kartalda Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Yenibosna Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Yenibosna Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Yenibosna Masaj Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Yenibosna Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Beylikdüzü Masöz Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Beylikdüzünde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online
    Beylikdüzü Masaj Masaj salonu Ve Masözler Beylikdüzünde Hizmetinizde ve masöz lerde sizi beklemekte hemde online

    ReplyDelete