main image

main image

Friday, 13 February 2015

All Change Again!

We have an exciting week ahead. By the time I write my next post we will have a new addition to our family. My son and his wife are having their second child next week. Unbelievably my grand-daughter is two years old and about to have a brother or sister. As an only child how I envy her.


We do not know whether this baby will be a boy or girl. I wonder whether he/she will have soft auburn curls like my granddaughter. Will this new arrival be like her? Will he or she possess her energy, her attention to detail. Will our new grandchild also grow to adore strawberries, Peppa Pig and a fascination for the moon? Will the two of them get on? I know of siblings who adore each other but also those who become estranged. I do realise that having a brother or sister is no guarantee of companionship but I hope that my grandchildren become firm friends, ones who will not let life come  between them.


We are lucky that my son and daughter-in-law live nearby. We get to see them nearly every week. I never take this for granted and I know that in a way these early years are the easy bit. It can be when children grow up that it is harder to keep in touch, to keep that grandparent/grandchild relationship going. A few years ago my husband and I were visiting some gardens and we sat at a courtyard table for coffee. Nearby were another couple and we got talking. The gentleman was texting on his phone. He was contacting his grandson who was at university, telling him what they were doing, sending pictures of the garden. I knew there and then that was the sort of grandparent I wanted to be.


So, little person, about to enter the big wide world with a mountain of opportunities and experiences ahead of you, we can't wait to meet you, to find out what you are like in looks and character. We can't wait to hold you and to show you how much we love you.


Thank-you for dropping by and have a good week whatever you are doing.

6 comments:

  1. How absolutely wonderful! Very best wishes to you all, and do let us know who it is who comes into your lives as a new VIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Pippa. I'll let you know and maybe even put a photo up next week.

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely post, Alex. It has made me cry. Best of love and wishes for next week's event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Ros. Am sure I shall cry with happiness on Thursday!

      Delete
  3. Oh how lovely.....can't wait to hear all about your new grandchild when he or she arrives. When the time comes for me to have a grandchild, whenever that is, I will be beside myself with excitement, anticipation and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget. I know everyone says how fantastic it is and it's true - it really is!

      Delete