main image

main image

Friday, 2 January 2015

New Year's Resolutions


To be honest I'm not sorry to have said goodbye to 2014. It wasn't a bad year but at times it wasn't particularly easy so I'm hoping that 2015 will be better and good for you too.

Just after Christmas we went for a walk in the country. It was a cold, sunny day and although the canal surface glistened with ice, the towpath was, in parts, churned up and deeply muddy. We had to watch where we put our feet at every step and by not looking ahead we almost missed a beautiful heron skimming the waterway.

There is much symbolism attached to the heron, including going with the flow and being present in the moment, both desirable goals, but I also need to plan for the future. Last year was a case of feeling as if I was chasing my tail all the time and I hate that. So this year my main resolution is to plan ahead more instead of rushing around doing things at the last minute. Birthday presents will be bought in plenty of time, food for the week will be thought about in advance and I shall look at the map more than two minutes before setting off on a journey to somewhere new!

My son has a good resolution too. Where possible he's going to deal with things as they arise, especially answering e-mails, making appointments etc., instead of putting them off to do later. I'm going to try this one too.

Will I manage to keep these resolutions? I hope so. I'll do my best. I'm sure that I'll get caught out occasionally but the key is not to give up if I fail occasionally. Hopefully the thought of time being freed up and life being calmer will be enough to help me stick to my resolutions.

Thank-you for dropping by. Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.














4 comments:

  1. Alex, I think you come over as so calm, so organised and so productive...so was surprised to read this. It's me who's flying around at the last moment etc!I am also going to try to be more organised re birthdays etc.....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget, last year I really didn't feel very calm or organised and I definitely wasn't as productive as I would have liked. We'll have to encourage each other to try and make sure we hold to our resolutions!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Bridget. You do always appear to me so organised, Alex. My only hope is for better health for my family this year. Last one was a toughie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Ros and you are right, health is the most important thing. Wishing you better health all around and a very happy 2015.

      Delete