main image

main image

Sunday, 11 January 2015

Broccoli Soup

Sometimes you just need some comfort and one of the most comforting things for me is making soup. I try to make a big batch with whatever catches my eye or is on offer that week. The intention is always to freeze some so that we have home-made soup to hand on those days when everything is rushed or it has turned very cold and you really need something warm and nourishing. More often than not we eat all of the soup before it gets to the freezer stage!

I'd never made broccoli soup until about three years ago. For some reason it had never occurred to me and then I saw a programme with the lovely Rachel Allen and she was making this soup. I don't think there were any measurements and I have to admit that when I make soup I just use my judgement. We like thick soup, a meal in a bowl, so I always use a fair bit of potato, but if you prefer yours to be thinner you could just use less. I bought two large stalks of broccoli which cost the grand total of £1.20 and the resulting soup was enough to provide six large bowlfuls but if I'd thinned it down it could have made more.

This is all you need:-

Broccoli (or calabrese as it really should be known. This is not soup made from the purple or white headed variety of broccoli)
Potatoes
Onions
Vegetable or chicken stock
Seasoning
(Single cream/milk is optional)

Remove the florets from the broccoli and put on one side.



Chop the broccoli stalks, an onion or two depending on how much broccoli you are using and one or two medium sized potatoes.



Heat some oil in a heavy based pan and sweat all of this gently until it is beginning to soften. Rachel Allen placed some butter paper over hers which helps to intesify the flavours. My daughter is dairy free so I put some damp grease-proof over mine. When the vegetable are ready, remove the paper and add about one and half pints of hot stock. As I said this isn't an exact science so you could add more or less if you choose. Bring to the boil, add the broccoli florets and reduce to a simmer until they are tender which won't take very long. Blitz to a puree and season to taste. If you fancy a creamy soup you could add a little cream or milk at this stage.

There it is - incredibly easy and speedy, unbelievably economical and not only comforting to make but comforting to eat too. It will keep for several days in the fridge and freezes well.


Thank-you for reading and I wishing you a happy and peaceful week.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty. I've made a similar soup and I sometimes stir in some crumbled Stilton cheese before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes, I love Stilton. I sometimes do that when my son is around as it's his favourite cheese.

    ReplyDelete