main image

main image

Friday, 7 November 2014

Just Do It

'Sometimes you just have to get on and do it,' my daughter said last week. And she's right of course. Sometimes you do have to fight the lethargy and get on with whatever it is that you are putting off. But it's not always as easy as that, is it? Normally, I love my writing life. Where had that love gone? Not wanting to write is discombobulating. I don't feel like myself. I did sit down and do a little writing but it didn't spark a real desire to plunge in, so I found plenty of displacement activities, hoping that an absence from the page would be the solution. It wasn't.  My characters didn't follow me and occupy my thoughts while I drove to the garden centre or cleared away leaves in the garden. They didn't even fill my head while I did the ironing and, in the past, I've found the gentle repetitive action of ironing to be great for cultivating ideas. Maybe the passion has gone away for ever I thought. Maybe I only had so many books in me and that was it. Then immediately I tried to be more rational. I can easily let my imagination run away with me, (but not frustratingly in this case in the form of a story for my next novel) and I had been here before. Once I had a whole year when my enthusiasm waned. I got through that and I'd get through this period too.

Sometimes you don't quite know what you need until it happens. I know that meeting with other writers always gives me a boost so I was looking forward to our monthly meeting of the Romantic Novelists' Association. Everyone is so supportive of each other. We commiserate, we share, we celebrate. Would that renew my absent enthusiasm? I wasn't sure. I didn't want to pin too many hopes on it.

This month the delightful Carole Matthews came to visit and talk to us about her career so far and her hugely successful books. Carole is engaging, funny, ready to share her knowledge and inspiring. She loves what she does and is extremely appreciative of her readers. Her enthusiasm is infectious and you can check out her website and her books with their beautiful covers by Alice Tait, here.

A couple of hours later I came away with a real spring in my step. I'm itching to get on with my next book. My characters are clamouring to make themselves heard. So, a huge thank-you to Carole and over the weekend I'm also looking forward to settling down with one of her books, Wrapped Up In You. What a treat!



Thank-you for reading and I hope that something puts a spring in your step this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment