main image

main image

Saturday, 15 March 2014

A Gentler Life

Gosh, it's been busy lately. I seem to be running at full pelt just to stand still. I know it isn't just me who feel that time really does seem to be speeding up. 'If you want something done, ask a busy person', so the saying goes. That's true up to a point and Parkinson's Law does state that we stretch out jobs to fill the time available. But too much busyness, for me anyway, is not good for creativity. My creativity flourishes in the shadows, in quiet time, in space. There doesn't have to be acres of it, just pockets without pressure, and in addition a gentle rhythm to my days where I can nurture my soul with variety; some cooking, tidying (I can't work in a messy house), reading, walking, gardening, thinking.




As I write this post, sitting at my kitchen table, broccoli soup simmering on the range, outside the window the sun is shining and the birds are singing. Humphrey the guinea pig rests in the doorway to his house, a shaft of sunlight warming the top of his head. Someone looking down from space would probably view it as a harmonious scene but inside I am stressed. There seem to be so many things to do and not enough time to do them.  I have a desire for my life to be easier, gentler so that I may sink back into my creativity. I know this requires certain chores to be 'penned' like a flock of sheep and I am not good at that domestic discipline.




We are promised good weather this weekend and I plan to get out in the garden. Last week I planted some seeds and the cosmos are already sprouting, as is my parsley. This week I may plant out my seed potatoes (Arran Pilot - first earlies) and put broad bean seeds (Meteor again as they were so good last year), in individual pots. Working in the garden is grounding, calming. It is a form of meditation and a good place to think about plotting and characters. It is a good place to re-assess, to pause and to plan so that next week I can create more balance.




Whatever you are doing and wherever you are I hope you have a lovely weekend.
Thank-you for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Good to meet you Alex, it is always reassuring to read about people having the same problems. I too have enormous trouble finding the time to do what is needed, I try and space things out to include everything but I know I am always losing the battle. So, like you, I have those days when I actually leave my computer (shock horror!) and do something I really enjoy, like gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita, good to meet you too. I love gardening too. I wish I could write and garden at the same time but it's good for thinking things through and putting things into perspective. Sometimes it's good for not thinking too, isn't it and occasionally that's just what we all need. Enjoy your precious gardening time.

    ReplyDelete