main image

main image

Saturday, 15 February 2014

Beautiful Tables and Cheerful Chicken Placemats...

I like visiting stately homes and one of my favourite rooms is always the dining room, especially if the table is beautifully laid. The dining room at Chartwell, Winston Churchill's house in Kent, is one that lingers in my memory. It has beautiful green coloured curtains draped around arched windows. The light is exquisite and the table and chairs are so inviting. Another lovely dining room is at Sandringham, the Queen's house in Norfolk. Again there are long windows letting in a lot of light and a cosy, convivial feeling.

But the most beautiful dining room has to be at The Mount, Edith Wharton's house in Massachusetts.



The whole house is light, airy and beautiful. You can really feel how much Edith loved this place, even though her life here was not happy and there is a tinge of sadness in the air.

The dining room has French doors opening on to a broad terrace which overlooks the gardens. At the centre of this elegant room is a beautifully laid table.




Closer to home, my mother-in-law always lays her table with care. This is how it looked on New Year's Eve - warm and celebratory.



 With a really pretty centrepiece.


 
 
This week I have bought some new table mats and I am so thrilled with them. I've been looking for ages and most table mats are too big for our narrow table but these are perfect. An added bonus is the chicken design. I do love chickens (but that is another story!).
 
 
They are from Lady Clare and the design is by Annabel Fairfax. These are the coasters which show the whole range of chickens.
 
 
 
So whilst my dining table might not be as smart as at Chartwell or The Mount, it will look bright and cheerful which is just what you need in the middle of February. 
 
Also I'm thrilled that Last Chance Angel has been shortlisted for the Romantic Novelists' Association Awards. You can find details of all the other nominated authors and their books here.
 
Thank-you for reading and I hope you have a good week, wherever you are in the world.
 
 
 


2 comments: