main image

main image

Sunday, 19 January 2014

Enjoying the Moment

Those of you reading from far away might be forgiven for thinking that the U.K. has been almost submerged over the last few weeks. The floods have been devastating in many areas but thankfully not here so I feel rather guilty in admitting to finding January and February difficult months. Especially in the light of the snowstorms and unbelievable temperatures in the U.S., and also because it has not been as cold as normal here. We have had some beautiful blue skies and sunny days.




I know that I shouldn't wish time away but, at this time of year, I do. I long for Spring, for lighter nights and mornings. I long to walk outside not swaddled in scarves, hats, gloves and a thick coat.

Do you wait for inspiration non-writers often ask. But, in my experience, inspiration is quixotic and sporadic. If I waited it to arrive it probably never would. So I have a pretty regular routine for writing but at this time of year I do need to make an extra effort to cast off the sluggishness. One of the ways I do this is by reminding myself to really take note of those blue skies, the increased enthusiasm of the birds as they sing and the bulbs bravely pushing their way through the soil.

Something else which gives me a boost is perusing seed catalogues. I love the colourful photographs of flowers and vegetables and the promise of beauty and deliciousness they impart. This package arrived in the post last week and cheered me up no end.



I also had a lovely present from my son and daughter-in-law.

 
 
It was great fun deciding what to write and sorting out all of the letters.
 

 
 
This is what I came up with. It is fixed to the end wall in my kitchen and within a couple of hours of being there my daughter said it had inspired her twice, which has got to be good.
 
 
 
It comes from a quote by the Dalai Lama and reminds me to be in the present, to appreciate every moment, even these months which I find difficult to navigate.
 
Because you can become so used to the things around you that you don't see them properly I plan to change the words on a fairly regular basis, maybe every month. Anyway hours of fun and inspiration beckons! I think every writer should have a Make Your Own Banner kit and if you would like to look into buying one just click here.
 
 
I hope you have many happy moments this week and thank you for reading.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment