main image

main image

Monday, 30 December 2013

Balance

My earliest memory is of lying in my pram looking up at two very tall conifers wafting against the sky. My mother used to put me outside in all weathers and, as I grew, I spent a lot of time in our garden, making the shady space underneath the broad sweep of those lower conifer branches into a little house, or cycling around the lawn on my bicycle, bouncing a ball against a wall, playing with our dogs; the adventures were endless. When I look back over my life, then and since, many of the happiest pictures which come to mind are from being outside.

My father fostered in me a love of gardening. I had a small semi-circular patch of earth at the edge of the vegetable garden. It was backed by a privet hedge and a tall, lanky, pear tree. Here I could plant exactly what I wanted. I still love my garden and feel my father's hand on my shoulder, his voice in my ear as I decide on which vegetables and plants to grow.

Last year life was hectic. Despite finally getting a greenhouse, planting some long-awaited autumn fruiting raspberries and being really pleased with my broad bean crop, I didn't get outside enough. Looking back, my life lost a degree of balance. There were friends and family who I didn't see as much as I would have liked. Too many things were done in a rush. There just didn't seem to be enough time to go around. So my resolution for 2014 is to try and restore some balance to my life. I am going to begin by getting outside more. Hopefully my garden, my friends and family, my writing and my whole life will benefit.

Thank-you for reading and wishing everyone health, wealth, love, luck and happiness for 2014.

4 comments:

  1. Happy new outsidey year, Alex! I've been bad about not gardening enough too, but having a dog does get you out of the house, rain or shine, and that feels important to physical and mental wellbeing. You need a dog .... possibly?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too Pippa. Hopefully one day I'll have a dog again but in the meantime I'll have to motivate myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post Alex....and yes, I always feel better for being in the garden or outdoors somewhere! Well last year we didn't get our group day out did we? We need a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you Bridget. You have such stunning outdoor space near you too. We definitely need to arrange a group day out this year - somewhere as inspirational as Hemingford Grey.

    ReplyDelete