main image

main image

Friday, 17 May 2013

Ups and Downs

I'm back! It's been a strange few weeks. Some good bits, some bad bits. I'll get the bad bits out of the way first!

Three weeks ago my internet connection was cut off - completely. All we had done was change our tariff which my provider suggested in the first place, saying they could save us money. Who would turn down an offer like that? I should have know it was too goo to be true! Anyway it has taken much foot-stamping, shrieking and at one point sobbing on the phone to finally find get re-instated earlier this week. So five lengthy phone calls, one engineer visit, one e-mail to the managing director of said company and the generosity of friends who let me log on to their providers from time to time, I am finally back on line. Have I missed it? Absolutely! More than I could have imagined. It has also been hugely inconvenient especially as I have a book due out on June 3rd and have been trying to arrange promotional work with my publishers. But on the positive side I have realised, (not that I didn't really know it), how much time the internet can steal from your life so I am resolved to be more disciplined upon it's return.

The other bad bit is that my husband and I have succumed to a dreaded flu-type virus. This is especially irritating as we've managed the whole winter without so much as a sniffle between us. He couldn't go to the Malvern Flower Show with me last Thursday and look what he missed:-

This stand of tulips was magnificent


And I absolutely loved this boat filled with agapanthus

 
 
This show garden of a dilapidated boat-house was incredibly authentic looking
 
 
 
 
I loved the soft planting in this particular show garden
 
 
I've been to all of the Royal Horticultural Society shows and the wonderful thing is that they all have a completely different feel to them. But, being a country girl at heart, I think Malvern is one of my favourites. Yes it can be wet and windy and cold because it is early in the season but you can't beat that drive through beautiful, verdant English countryside before you reach the Three Counties Showground with the majestic Malvern Hills in the background. If you've never been I really recommend a visit next year.
 
 
Anyway two days' later I came down with the flu too and we've had to cancel all sorts of things.


Have we been feeling sorry for ourselves? Just a bit!

But in the middle of all of this look what arrived on my doorstep


My first two proper copies of Last Chance Angel and I can't tell you how thrilled I am with it. I've had so many nice comments about the cover and my first review which is always a bit nerve-wracking but it was amazing.

 
'Poignant, quirky, sometimes funny and sometimes sad.
 
A lovely read.'
 
 
What author wouldn't want a review like that? It makes all of the hard work worthwhile. If you'd like to read the review in full and find out about other books log on to http://www.chicklish.co.uk/
 
Then, as if that wasn't brilliant enough in itself, I heard that a French Canadian publisher has bought the rights for the French speaking world so Last Chance Angel will be being published in Canada sometime in 2014. I've always wanted to go to Canada. Maybe now I have an excuse!
 
Finally, because I've been confined to barracks, I've had loads of time to look out of the window at my garden. We've been visited by a thrush for the first time in years and my Angelique tulips have been a real tonic. Here they are and I hope your week to come will be more up than down. Thank-you so much for reading.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment