main image

main image

Thursday, 4 April 2013

Signs of Spring

I do like living in a country which has four distinct seasons but gosh this has seemed a long, cold winter. Everyone in the U.K. is trying not to complain about the cold but it seems to be going on for ever. We had snow again a couple of days ago and Humphrey the guinea pig has had to spend a lot of time inside, instead of being on the lawn munching lush new grass which is what he should be doing in April.



I too feel as if I have spent a long time inside this winter, not getting out for so many walks and I have barely been able to do anything in the garden. This does have a plus side because I have got a lot of writing done. I have completed my second children's book for Templar which at the moment is called Sitting At the Top of the Stairs and whilst waiting for the edits to come back I have finished a romantic fiction book for adults which I am planning to issue as an e-book within the next few weeks. But now I really would like Spring to arrive so I can replenish my vitamin D levels, plant my potatoes (Arran Pilot, which is the variety my father always used to rate very highly), stop wearing ridiculous layers of winter clothes and take my ten week old grandaughter out in her buggy and point out all of the beautiful things in the outside world.

Here are a few other things I am looking forward to in the garden:-

My primroses flowering around the pond.


And for lovely fat splodges of frogspawn to appear in the water.

The daffodils everywhere are so late this year. I am waiting for mine to stretch out their petals.

 
And my tulips, which are in pots dotted around the garden, to stop looking as if they want to shrink back into the soil. Hopefully this is what they will look like in a few weeks time.
 
 
I am waiting for the ferns underneath the beech trees at the front of the house to begin to unfurl.
 
 
 
Aren't they beautiful when they do that? Like little green sea-horses.

 
And I am absolutely longing to see my weeping cherry blossom in flower.
 

 
I would even quite like to see Lily looking for mice or frogs amongst the heather.
 

 
I don't have to worry about her catching anything because she soon gets bored!
 
 
The birds do seem to sense that Spring is on the way. We have chaffinches, greenfinches, goldfinches, bullfinches, blue tits, great tits, coal tits and an adventurous robin fighting for ascendancy on our feeders. And all of the birds are singing more lustily too. But one thing which would really signal Spring would be the sound of the cuckoo. They usually arrive in late March/early April and it is a sound I remember vividly from my childhood where the cuckoo used to perch in the branches of the walnut tree and call 'cuckoo, cuckoo'. In Shakespeare's time cuckoos were apparently so prolific as to be seen 'on every tree' but they seem to be a rarity now.  I'll finish this post with some words from William Wordsworth's famous poem To The Cuckoo:-
 
 
Thrice welcome, darling of the Spring
 
 
For me there are many 'darlings of the Spring'. Hopefully next time I write this blog the temperature will have risen and some of them will have arrived in all of their glory. In the meantime thank-you for reading and have a good week.




2 comments:

  1. Wow! Well done on all those completed writing tasks! And those pictures, and the ideas about Spring, are beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I missed this post. Well, it's certainly improved out there since you posted this up. I even have the conservatory door open, I hope Humphrey's a happier fellow now.

    ReplyDelete