main image

main image

Saturday, 26 January 2013

Miracles

A few years ago I read a book called In Praise of Slowness by Canadian journalist, Carl Honore. It's about savouring the moment, quality over quantity and taking the time to do things well.You can find out more about the book and The Slow Movement at www.carlhonore.com and it is worth reading about and, in my opinion, aspiring to. I thought about this book again this week when the U.K. was blanketed in snow and everything and everyone was forced to take things more slowly. Now I know that snow is inconvenient and makes life difficult for a lot of people but I still love it. I vividly remember standing at the window just watching snow fall when I was a child and thinking that it was like a miracle. Maybe it's because it was snowing when I was born but I've never lost that sense of wonder. We've had snow at some time over the last four winters in Leicester, but not as much as this. It makes everywhere look so beautiful. This is how our back garden has looked for the last week.

 
 
My outdoor candelabra looks more like a load of giant's egg cups!
 
 
The stone bench where I sit in the summer and have a cup of tea appears to have been covered with a downy white cushion. I don't fancy sitting on it at the moment though!
 
 

For most of us, just for a few days, slowing down because of the snow, could be just what we need. Life can be so frantic. We have endless 'to do' lists and there is that feeling of there just not being enough time to devote to everything and everyone so it is good to be forced to stop for a while.

I have a friend who sat down last weekend and read a whole book, cover to cover. She never normally does that unless she is on holiday.

Another friend began her spring cleaning.

I caught up with a missed episode of Borgen on the DVD. If you haven't seen it, it's a Danish political drama and it's brilliant.

My husband, daughter and I built a snowman which actually turned out to look more like a snow bird. Here he is wearing one of my daughter's hats.



And, best of all, last Saturday evening the three of us walked around the corner to meet the newest member of our family. The sky was clear, the air was crisp and the moon shone down. The streets were covered in soft, deep snow which gave a small, blissful crunch with every step taken. I will never forget that walk or meeting my grandaughter for the first time. Here she is, another miracle, our perfect, precious baby. Welcome to our world.


Wherever you are in the world I hope that this week your life has been blessed by a miracle or two. Sometimes we just need to slow down a little in order to notice them. So when the snow goes I'm going to keep thinking of Carl Honore and try to put a few of his Slow Principles into practice. That way I hope to come across a miracle every day. What could be better than that?

2 comments:

  1. She is a beautiful baby. I love your description of the walk round to see her. I am glad that the snow is starting to melt though. As for miracles, I suppose our days are full of them. We just have to look in the right direction. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ros. Yes, there's not much left of our snow bird now and whilst I love the snow while it's here I don't like it to linger too long. You're so right, our days are full of miracles and each one of us is a miracle in ourselves -although it can be hard to remember that sometimes. Have a lovely snowless week!

    ReplyDelete