main image

main image

Saturday, 24 November 2012

Ideas


Delightful task! To rear the tender thought, to teach the young idea how to shoot.
James Thomson 1700-1748
 

People often ask me where I get my ideas from so I thought I'd give an example.

Hmm, interesting! Was what I thought when I saw this  half-sheared sheep.


So much so that I stopped the car to take a photo.

And then the questions started to flow:-

1.  Why is it only half sheared?

2.  Did the farmer get fed up?

3.  Was he taken ill half-way through?

4.  Is he going to come back and finish the job tomorrow?

5.  Did his harridan of a wife ring and say 'your tea's on the table'?

6.  Was the sheep so badly behaved that the farmer gave up?

7.  Or has the farmer just got a brilliant sense of humour?


Then I considered this from another angle:-

8.  What does the sheep think?

9.  Does it feel special?

10. Or does it feel stupid?

11. Does it feel jeaous of the other sheep?

12. If it misbehaved is it full of remorse?

13. What do the other sheep think? Are they sniggering into their nice short fleeces? (If sheep do indeed snigger and I'm sure they must have a sense of humour in their own unique way).

14. Is my sheep (and in my head I have claimed this sheep, it is definitely mine!) in danger of being bullied or ostracised? I feel quite upset at this thought.

14 IDEAS FROM ONE BRIEF, CHANCE ENCOUNTER WITH A SHEEP AND A MYRIAD OF POTENTIAL STORIES. HOW GOOD IS THAT?

I'm sure you could come up with other questions too. So that's a brief example of where I get my ideas from.To be honest ideas are everywhere as long as we keep our ears and eyes open and remain present to the moment.

Next week, as part of The Next Big Thing I am very excited to have a guest children's author on my blog :-

 
TA DA!
 
 It's the amazing Pippa Goodhart
 
Pippa has had over 80 children's books published including the phenomenally successful You Choose. Her books are loved by parents, teachers, librarians and, most importantly of all, by the children who read them. So please log on next week and see what Pippa has to say about her latest work.

No comments:

Post a Comment