main image

main image

Sunday, 14 October 2012

Autumn Inspiration

Recently I've been busy editing a book which is due out with Templar next June. Suddenly I've looked up from my laptop and it's autumn! Actually I love autumn. For me it's much better than the New Year and all of those wretched resolutions. Autumn has always seemed full of much more promise which I'm sure stems from childhood. I remember going back to school at the start of a new school year armed with new pencils and crayons and possibly some new uniform if I'd grown out of things from the previous autumn. Above all though I remember the feeling of beginning afresh, the feeling that this might be the year I actually got to grips with algebraic equations or was picked for the hockey team. So, now I am a grown up but the feeling that autumn is ripe with possibilities still remains.

So, here are a few of the things I love about autumn:-




I love leaves! The colours, the sound they make when they're still on the trees and the way you can catch them as they fall and make a wish or swish through them when they're on the ground. Brilliant!
 



Isn't this just the most amazing thing? It came in my organic box last week and to me autumn means the end of the cricket season and the chance to cook a proper Sunday roast again instead of providing brunch as husband and sons have to dash off for a one o'clock start to a match. We had this beautiful cauliflower with roast lamb.



Despite the fact that there was very nearly a frost here last night my dahlias are still going strong and filling the garden with colour. This Bishop of Llandaff has been full of flowers for months now.

 
 
 
But the holly is full of berries which makes me realise that Christmas isn't far away.

One of my absolute favourite things about autumn though is the chance to light a fire and curl up next to it with a good book.

 
And maybe toast a teacake or two.
 
 
 
 
So to quote George Eliot:-
'Delicious autumn! My very sould is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking successive autumns.'
 
Do you feel the same about autumn too?
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not quite so keen on Autumn. I much prefer Spring with all it's promises and bursting buds. I can't deny that the trees have made an impressive show this year, must have something to do with the weather. That frost was a sharp one. We've taken our pelergoniums in for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I love spring too but it can be so cold and then I'm left feeling a bit disappointed whereas with autumn you just don't expect too much! Yes we brought our geraniums in last week to try and nurture them over the winter.

      Delete